#amreading Roomies by Christina Lauren

I’m reading Roomies by Christina Lauren

Heeeellllooooo!!! I’m back in NEEEEEEEEEEEEEW YOOOOOOOOORK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the HUSTLE and the BUSTLE! Back to dodging bikers, tourists, pigeons, and *cough* rats! New York City, take me to your pizza, your Broadway, and through your turnstile to your subway train! Take me back to swerving cabbies swearing at Uber drivers! Hit me with it!! Well, don’t hit me with your cab, please. Thanks!

Yes, NYC, I am happy to be back! Give me your loud, your grimy, and I’ll even take your sleepy guy falling on me on the train. I’ll see your garbage on the streets and raise you five adorable dogs wearing yellow raincoats with red booties. Give me your coffee that wakes me from my sleep. I’ll take the good, the bad, the ugly, and the quintessential, WTF is that?

Why?! Because I’m in New York City, Baby! That’s why!

Okay, now that the theatrics are over…on to the book!

I will be reading Roomies by Christina Lauren! This book suggestion comes from the always fabulous, Sarah Smith. You may remember Sarah as the author who inspired my Practically Neighbors Brooklyn Tour?

Thank you again, Sarah, because I couldn’t be more excited about this one. I’ve seen Christina Lauren all over the bookstagram world, so I’ve been dying to read something by this duo. Yes, a writing duo! How cool is that? I can’t wait to learn more about these authors.

So about the book…let’s talk about musicians because I hear a sexy Irish, NYC subway musician is in this one. That’s music to my ears! What warm-blooded female wouldn’t go for a musician? I know I have.

I once dated a drummer. Tall, handsome and did I mention he was a drummer? Musician adds about 10 hotness points to any guy. Facts!

I also had a major crush on another drummer in an Atlanta band that my friends and I followed around. Brad was his name. Bradley would talk to me after the show, so nice. We looked longingly into each other’s eyes, sat with our knees touching, and talked about all the wonders of the world until he’d up and disappear on me. True story!

To this day I talk about the amazing architecture in Florence because of a conversation I once had with Brad where he boasted about the architecture and I agreed. I’ve only been to Florence for about two hours but my conversation with Brad truly made me appreciate his body Florence’s architecture.

Back to the book! Your girl needs a good book fantasy because lord knows her dating life is crickets right now! I’m very excited about this one because it will have romance, a musician, and New York City! I’m looking forward to what kind of Literary Date it will inspire. A tour that will surely involve music and perhaps even a Broadway show?

Adventures in New York City

To get you all excited about my next tour in The Big Apple, I’ll share some pics from my recent adventures in the city. Enjoy!

New Yorker building

The Vessel at New York City’s newest neighborhood, Hudson Yards.

The Vessel in Hudson Yards

Looks like I’ll have to get in line behind this pigeon

The Vessel in Hudson Yards

The Vessel in Hudson Yards

My parents and I checked out this spot, but they didn’t want to climb up it. They have kiosks around it to get a ticket to be able to climb up. Next time I’ll go up!

Broadway

Beautiful The Carole King Musical

I saw two musicals with my parents- Beautiful— The Carole King Musical and Dear Evan Hansen. Both were absolutely incredible shows! Beautiful closes October 27th! Go see it now! We went to the TKTS Booth on a Thu. night (around 5 pm) and got second-row seats for their 7 pm show.

Roomies has a theatrical storyline which makes me extra excited about this tour, being a former actress myself. I love an excuse to see more shows and to have the opportunity to share about that experience.

Clyde Frazier’s Wine and Dine

Clyde Frazier’s Wine & Dine

We checked out this restaurant and had such a great time. The oldies/Motown music was so much fun and we sat right next to their personal-sized basketball court. I got to shoot some hoops! I even made one basket. Go me! This would be a great spot to plan a fun group outing or special event.

Battery Park

I went to Battery Park to do research for my “book.” I have a full Instagram highlight with pics and video from Battery Park. Follow me @literary_dates to check it out!

What I saw and experienced on this day may find its way into my “book.” In case you didn’t know, I’m working on a rom-com inspired by my blog. When I have 100 pages, I’ll remove the quotation marks.

This squirrel is very inspiring. He’ll have to go in the book!

A squirrel in Battery Park

Battery Park

The Statue of Liberty

Ice cream truck cone, city background

You know I gotta have my ice cream!

And because I would hate to have a post without a cute, sweet pup, here you go…

A cute puppy in New York City

Red booties!!!😍

That’s all for now! I’m gonna get reading! Let me know in the comments if you’ve read this one or plan to. Or if you’ve read anything by Christina Lauren, I’d be curious to know what you thought. Thank you!

Until next time!

Don’t forget to find me on my Socials!

Instagram: @literary_dates

Twitter: @LiteraryDates

Pinterest: Literary Dates

❤️

14 Comments

1. October 2, 2019 / 10:04 pm

As always! So excited to see a new post from you and all your magnificent pics. Esp of the famous L food-ice cream and the beautiful doggie in the boots. I am excited to read this upcoming post of yours and will try to make time for the book you are talking about. Reading is what I want to do more and it will be fun to read the same thing you are.:)

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 3, 2019 / 12:03 pm

Dee!! You’re the best! Thank you for reading. Wasn’t that doggie so cute!? You’re the coolest. I hope you get to read something good even if it’s not this book. You deserve time to read a good book!😉😍

2. October 4, 2019 / 3:19 pm

Okay Brad sounds so DREAMY!!!! That ice cream looks too good, and how cute is that pup?! I cannot wait to go to Broadway one day; I think I’d like to go whenever Les Mis is on. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this book 🙂 xx

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 6, 2019 / 11:03 am

Heyyy!! Thanks for checking out my post! You are right. Brad was sooo dreamy. He had golden blond hair that looked like his natural hair color. Ha.
      That puppy was so adorable!!! I died. Her owner was so nice to let me pet her.
      Hopefully Les Mis comes back! I just googled a little bit. It looks like it’ll reopen in a London theatre with new staging and will run indefinitely. I imagine that might encourage another Broadway run? We shall see! I’ll see it too if it comes back. Let’s go!😉
      And until you can get to Broadway, I hope you have the option to see some touring Broadway shows!

3. October 7, 2019 / 9:16 am

You always come up with great tour activities. However, that won’t stop me from sticking my nose in & making suggestions.

1) Since she works at a theater, a backstage tour. Then go see the show in question.

2) Busk on the subway, or find a busker to sit with for a few hours. See what it looks like from the other side. Could be research for your book. (No quote marks needed. Think positive.)

3) She mentions several movies. Watch them & see if they are relevant to the plot. I can think of one that is, but that would be a spoiler. (1&2 happen early enough &/or are on the jacket copy so they shouldn’t count as major spoilers. (What does one call jacket copy on an ebook?))

Look fwd to the tour.
    Katherine

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 12, 2019 / 6:55 pm

Haha! I like your ideas. You’re challenging me to be bold.
      1. I’ve googled a little bit about backstage tours and it sounds like that might be a struggle. Looks like it could be a pretty penny in addition to the cost of the show. I’ll have to see if I can find another way but not sure. I will try though!

2. I had no idea busking was the term until this book. Do people still use that term and I’ve just missed it? Anyway, I have absolutely no musical talent. I cannot busk! Hmm? I’ll think about your idea to sit with one. Won’t people think I’m part of the show and be disappointed I’m just sitting there? Actually now that I’m thinking of it, I’d probably have to supply my own chair.🤔 What about busk hopping? See a bunch of different buskers?

3. I haven’t gotten to the movie portion of the book I don’t think. Unless I missed it? I’m on chapter 12. Oh wait you say early on? I must be forgetting it! Oh do you mean Green Card? I actually feel a little bit bad about this kind of storyline with all the immigration stuff going on right now. But it still seems like a cute book so far. Got to suspend your disbelief and once you do, it’s funny. But I haven’t read it all yet so I’m zipping my lips on my thoughts on it.
      I don’t know if an ebook has a jacket copy, but I got your meaning.:)

Thanks for reading! It should be a fun tour! Just need to make friends with a Broadway star.😉

4. October 7, 2019 / 1:24 pm

Yayyyy, you’re still writing your book! I look forward to when you reach 100 pages and can remove the quotations, haha. I know the feeling with that, though. It’s so hard to figure out when it’s becoming a real THING and not just something you’re most likely going to drop in the next 2-3 weeks, haha. I have faith in you, though! Keep plugging.

I saw BEAUTIFUL last summer, and it was so good! I had no idea what it was about when I got the tickets, lol. Melissa Benoist from SUPERGIRL was playing the lead, and my husband and I love her, so we got relatively cheap tickets and were like, “Well, we like musicals. How bad can this be?” And it was SO good. I loved the story and learning where all these famous songs are from.

Thanks for sharing your NYC adventures!

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 12, 2019 / 7:20 pm

Aww thank you for the motivation!! I can’t wait when I reach 100 pages! I just got a new laptop today to replace the one that died, so I will finally get back to working on it!
      Exactly! I started a “book” many years ago and dropped it pretty fast. I’m hoping my blogging experience will help motivate me and since I’ve publically told people about it, that it will hold me accountable!😉
      Thank you for your encouragement!
      I had no idea what Beautiful was about either! We saw it because the show my mom wanted to see wasn’t on the tkts board. Each song that I knew, was a sweet surprise. I loved the story, the music, and the actors! I’ve definitely seen shows before because of actors I like too. Glad you guys got to see a favorite of yours! I can’t believe I’ve never seen Supergirl. I should try to find it.
      Thank you for reading my post! I appreciate the support.

5. October 9, 2019 / 5:02 pm

I did not know that you dated a drummer!! Haha, remember that one time at band camp?!….

You described NYC perfectly too. OMG do people really dress up their dogs in rain gear? I guess that I can easily believe that. And, I know how much you love your PIZZA!!

The squirrel on the fence is adorable. What a catch. Since we moved, the cats are so intrigued by the GIANT squirrels and chipmunks. Definitely reminds me of living back up north.

For some reason, I thought that the honeycomb structure was in Chicago. Is it a different one? What is it?

Can’t wait to see what you think about the book. I always love two authors and the title Roomies sounds so fun.

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 12, 2019 / 7:33 pm

Haha! That was a long time ago! Now I’m too old for drummers!
      Yes! People definitely dress their dogs up in rain gear. I’ll have to try to snap a picture for you.😊
      PIZZA is life!!!

I love my squirrel pic so much! My goal was to get him while he was on top of the fence but this capture happened instead! Happy accident!

I need to move to Asheville for the chipmunks and bears! Are the chipmunks really around even though there are bears often on your yard?

I don’t know about Chicago but this is NYC’s newest thing. It’s called the Vessel and people can climb up it. The Vessel is in Hudson Yards, NYC’s newest neighborhood that opened in March of this year. It’s all the way on the west side between 28th and 38th St.
      I need to explore it more. I only visited the Vessel when I went.

Thanks for reading my post! I have some preliminary thoughts but I’ll hold off until I’ve finished. Christina Lauren is a good name! We could be Christine Lauren or maybe Lauren Christine so as to avoid confusion.😉😉🤣

• November 2, 2019 / 12:25 pm

Yes, we definitely get chipmunks on the front step too! Noah LOVES them the most because they dart all over the place really fast.

You can climb the Vessel?! Are you going to do it?! DO IT!!!

• searchingforhumor5
          Author
          November 3, 2019 / 10:59 am

I love chipmunks!!! I bet Noah would love them a little too much!😳😉

Yes! You can climb it. It’s free but it seemed like quite a process to make a reservation to be able to climb up but now it looks like it might be easier to get up. I’ll get up it one of these days!

6. October 15, 2019 / 3:10 pm

The intro to this post is everything! Can you please share some of your energy? Love the New York city description. I want to go back for pizza… and of course to visit you! And the Vessel because it is so impressive!

Hmmm so let’s talk about Florence… I mean, Brad’s body. HAH You crack me up!

Looking forward to your book tour and getting back to touring NYC.

• searchingforhumor5
      Author
      October 16, 2019 / 7:50 pm

Hahaha!! Thank you! I think I have high writing energy but don’t know if it translates irl.🤷🏻‍♀️
      I would love it if you came to visit! We would definitely have to get pizza!!
      I need to go back to the Vessel because I have to climb up it! We can do that too.😉
      Aww Brad was sooo lovely!! Seriously.😍

Thank you for your continued support! You’re the best!😍